Sunday, April 26, 2009

I found this today...so true!

I found these lists today online and they are so true! Often there isn't much you can say or are needed to say. Just let whoever it is know that you are there for them if they need anything or want to talk and acknowledge their pain and loss and how it is significant. Sometimes people just need to think before they speak! lol. Oh PS....everyone in nursing school should read this because nurses at all OB/GYNs seem to suck that I have ran into!

Things not to say to someone who is trying to get pregnant:

1.“Just Relax.”
2. “Enjoy being able to travel, sleep late, have free time, etc.”
3. “Maybe you aren’t meant to be a mom/dad.”
4. “Why don’t you just adopt?”
5. “Being pregnant isn’t fun.”
6. "You're young, you don't want kids right now."

Things not to say to someone who has lost a baby:

1. "At least you can get pregnant."
2. "You can always try again."
3. "The baby would have been deformed anyway or had something wrong with it."
4. "At least you have other kids."
5. "Everything will be fine next time."
6. "It happened because _______."
7. "I lost a grandparent recently and it was hard too."

2 comments:

The Murphys said...

SO true! I don't think people mean to be idiots, but sometimes they really are. After my m/c I appreciated hearing "I don't know what to say" a lot more than "at least you have Corbin"

<3....

Brooke and Brian said...

haha i know! i didnt get mad at any dumb comments i have gotten because I knew most of the people meant well.... lol so people just need to think a little harder or not say anything if they don't know what to say! hope you are doing well!!!!