Monday, December 8, 2008

Overcoming a Struggle!


Today was a day of many struggles for me. I had a test in my Adult Health class, which some of you probably know has been a constant battle for me this semester. I ended up with a 74 on the test :( Not the grade I had hoped for and this means I need a 78 on the final. Please pray for me as I study this week for Fridays fast approaching final.
But there is another accomplishment I wanted to mention... I called my doctor today about not getting a period back (TMI?) since the miscarriage yet, which has been almost 8 weeks. I can't believe it has been that long, it seems like only yesterday. But the doctor prescribed me progestin to take for 10 days. That seems great, right? To get this whole process started over again! Well, only one problem... I can't swallow pills. I never have been able to. Yes I know I am 21 this should be easy for me. But it is not. It is a mental thing of mine that I can't seem to shake. I cry, beg, anything but to have to swallow a pill (even a little tiny one). Since I am so desperate to be a mommy and carry a baby again I was determine to get this done.
I first tried apple sauce, putting in on the spoon with the pill. Well I would find it in the apple sauce with my tongue and not be able to swallow it. My throat would just clamp up (as usual). Okay then I tried some prayer about it (Really!). Then I closed my eyes and Brian tried to trick me into swallowing it with the apple sauce (so I wouldn't know which spoonful it was in). Didn't work. Brian gave up. (Haha). I wasn't going to give up just yet. I tried it with some water, still didn't work. Now it was probably 10 minutes of this already. Finally, I shoved it to the back of my throat and pressed my tongue down with my hand so it couldn't block it from going down like usual and then swallowed water over and over until I had to come up for air...... and to my surprise the pill was gone! I HAD SWALLOWED IT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE!!! God answers prayers (even ones we think may be silly).

2 comments:

Jessi said...

I had to start taking pills when I was in the fourth grade and had to start taking Paxil for my panic attacks. I did the apple sauce thing at first. Once you get a little more confortable with it, you might want to try taking pills the way I take them. I get a mouthful of water first and pop the pill between my lips and swallow it real fast. That way it doesn't get stuck on your tongue and you don't choke on it, even if you do look a little silly taking your medicine. Good luck with that, and good luck on your finals!

The Yates' said...

Way to go Brooke!